Friday, August 7, 2015

#ILookLikeASurgeon Tweet it. Own it.

Be the role model you always wanted but never had.

A couple weeks ago saw this inspiring Steel Heels article "Healing with Steel" on Dr. Nikki Stamp, a cardiothoracic surgeon in Australia, and the #ThisIsWhatWeLookLike campaign.
Dr. Nikki Stamp

Fast forward to a text message from my friend and co-resident, Dr. Sara Scarlet.



I logged onto Twitter and saw the #ILookLikeAnEngineer campaign. One tweet and an emphatic response from Dr. Alison McCoubrey in the UK opened a floodgate of support from the #SurgTweeting community.




The photos are stunning:

I like the hashtag in the first person. As women surgeons, whether we are in our first year of training or an emeritus professor, it's most important that we ourselves believe we "look" like surgeons. Because we do.


 

T shirts can be purchased here.


Owning it,  



Addendum: Here is the story of Isis Anchalee, the women behind the movement, in her own words. Thank you for your courage Isis. You changed the world.
Isis Anchalee

In other news, Dr. Scarlet, who was busy operating and being a surgeon all night, finally had time to post her own selfie:


@ColumbiaSurgery responded with this powerful collage:




Dr. Stamp posted a powerful response in support of the #ThisIsWhatILookLike and #ILookLikeASurgeon campaigns:

"I want to share that you absolutely do not have to be a certain race, gender, personality, sports fan or other group to be a surgeon. In fact, diversifying our specialty to involve women, for example, is a fantastic thing. Every different person has something unique to bring to the table and we should encourage that enrichment. And finally, I want to show the world that I don’t have to be a stereotype to be a surgeon. Because I am a surgeon and this is what I look like."


Amazing blogs keep coming!

New blog by Dr. Alison McCourbrey, the first female general surgeon at her hospital in Northern Ireland.

She writes, "It’s been amazing to see so many inspirational women pulling together & supporting this campaign & each other. I am so happy to be a part of this, promoting positive role models and changing perceptions of women in male-dominated professions. I hope that this might encourage more women to join a career path that i love and feel privileged to do. Defy the stereotype & be part of the solution!

#ILookLikeaSurgeon because I am a surgeon."



To see all the inspiring pics, 
check out the Storify 
compiled by future surgeon Jasmine Miller.











10 comments:

  1. I walked into a courtroom in a tailored suit & briefcase and a guard asked if I was a new lawyer, since he didn't recognize me. Surprised, I said "No. I'm a criminal. I spent the night in your jail. I didn't like it much." Before the judge, I pled guilty for a DUI, paid a fine and went home. Lawyer? I'm a frickin Industrial Engineer! I'm also a man, so my story is irrelevant here. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I walked into a courtroom in a tailored suit & briefcase and a guard asked if I was a new lawyer, since he didn't recognize me. Surprised, I said "No. I'm a criminal. I spent the night in your jail. I didn't like it much." Before the judge, I pled guilty for a DUI, paid a fine and went home. Lawyer? I'm a frickin Industrial Engineer! I'm also a man, so my story is irrelevant here. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephen you are missing the point completely. Diversity should not mean disparity. Regardless of the profession. If stereotypes interfere with patient care, professional growth and keeping educated women in the workforce –( education that all taxpayer pay for including you ;)) the we should ALL care. And be part of the solution

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stephen you are missing the point completely. Diversity should not mean disparity. Regardless of the profession. If stereotypes interfere with patient care, professional growth and keeping educated women in the workforce –( education that all taxpayer pay for including you ;)) the we should ALL care. And be part of the solution

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your post ,,, very nice artikel.........

    ReplyDelete
  6. Her article is very interesting , and I would like this article . and do not forget I wait for the newest update ..

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks for article , im very-very like this article.

    ReplyDelete
  8. we are offering Best Cosmetic Surgeon if you want to checkup and any information about Cosmetic Surgeon you can visit over this website Best Cosmetic Surgeon in Lahore

    ReplyDelete
  9. Professor Doctor Ayub Ahmed Khan Best ENT Surgeon Lahore. we are Best Cosmetic Surgeon if you want to checkup and any information visit our website: www.profdrayubent.com.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ENT as a specialty has made tremendous advancements over the last two decades with the advent of new technologies and there incorporation in the diagnosis and treatment of ENT diseases. Best ENT Doctor in Lahore

    ReplyDelete